|Distance||27 miles (43.4
|OS Map Ref:||SP197540|
Stratford-upon-Avon Visitor Information Centre
Tel: 01789 264293
There’s a colour leaflet with full route description for this and other cycle routes and walks around and out from Stratford-upon-Avon. Click ‘Download Trail here’ at the bottom of the page to order your detailed trail guide, before setting out.
1. From the Seven Meadows Car Park, follow Sustrans National Cycle Route 5 through town to the towpath.
2. After 2 miles of towpath – racing the narrowboats! – you come to Wilmcote village and pubs, a shop and Mary Arden’s Shakespeare House, which is a fascinating visit.
3. On to Aston Cantlow where William Shakespeare’s parents were most likely married. Then follow country lanes around to Shelfield. Stay on the main circuit via Studley. Or a shortcut can reduce your journey by approximately 10 miles if you wish and lead you to Coughton Court.
4. Elizabethan Coughton Court has been occupied by the Throckmorton family since 1409 – discover its links with the Gunpowder Plotters.
5. Crossing the River Alne, you breeze along country lanes on the return route. There is an uphill stretch, before riding downhill back into Stratford.