|Distance||7 miles (11.2
|OS Map Ref:||SP151660|
Stratford-upon-Avon Visitor Information Centre
Tel: 01789 264293
General overview of route (please click ‘Download Trail here’ at the bottom of the page for full direction details and distances before setting out):
1. Begin on Henley-in-Arden’s High Street near the church and saunter down Beaudesert Lane past a further church. Leaving the local park, head out into the countryside following a generally well waymarked route.
2. A narrow path leads to Preston Bagot church, well worth a look.
3. From here it is cross country again to the Stratford-upon-Avon Canal. Following northeast along the towpath, pass a number of lifting bridges and locks.
4. Remain on the towpath, crossing Yarningale Aqueduct, which carries the canal over the valley. You soon reach Lowsonford Bridge and lock-keeper’s cottage.
5. After the lane at Finwood Bridge the next section is along the waymarked and well walked Heart of England Way.
6. An uphill stretch is rewarded with fine views across the countryside.
7. As the path descends, it crosses the earthworks of Beaudesert Castle, all that remain of a Norman motte and bailey castle. Situated on the hill the fort offered a good vantage point for defence.
8. Walking steeply downhill brings you back to the edge of town, and a stroll along to the High Street.