|Distance||5 miles (8.04
|OS Map Ref:||SP394522|
Leamington Visitor Information Centre
Royal Pump Rooms
Royal Leamington Spa
Tel: 01926 742762
There’s a colour leaflet with full route description for this and other walks around and out from Burton Dassett Country Park. Click ‘Download Trail here’ at the bottom of the page to order your detailed trail guide, before setting out.
General overview of route:
1. Burton Dassett Country Park comprises a series of rugged hilltops, a medieval beacon, ironstone quarries and a small woodland.
2. From the car park attendant’s hut, follow the lane to 12th-century All Saints Church. Passing the tower, cross a stile in the wall.
3. Follow the waymarked route across fields and stiles for 1.5 miles, coming into Avon Dassett village.
4. Turning left at the Avon pub, leave the village, head uphill and cross country with some fine views. Two miles of paths and quiet lanes (follow the detailed walk descriptions on the trail leaflet) bring you into Fenny Compton.
5. A detour into the village centre brings you to a village shop, post office and pub. A further 2-mile round trip leads to the wharf and pub on the Oxford Canal.
6. The final stretch can get a little wet underfoot, before heading uphill and back along a lane to the country park.