|Distance||8 miles (12.8
|OS Map Ref:||SP162608|
Stratford-upon-Avon Visitor Information Centre
Tel: 01789 264293
General overview of route (please click ‘Download Trail here’ at the bottom of the page for full direction details and distances before setting out):
1. Whilst walking along the Stratford-upon-Avon Canal and its two rare aqueducts carrying the canal across the valley, do pause to marvel at the early 19th-century engineering, still holding water and boats to this day.
2. Beginning at the car park at the base of the Edstone Aqueduct, climb the stairs up to the aqueduct to observe the magnificent engineering in close up, as well as enjoy views from your lofty vantage point.
3. Following the towpath south to bridge 58, there is a route to the left which then takes you across fields and stiles, using a local network of paths and bridleways. A circular route brings you northwards through woodland and back to the canal near Wootton Wawen.
4. The wharf ahead with the Navigation Inn is a popular destination, and nearby is signposted to the Craft Centre and the village itself.
5. Another, shorter aqueduct lies adjacent to the Navigation Inn. From here head south back to Edstone Aqueduct along the towpath.