|Distance||5 miles (8.04
|OS Map Ref:||SK258028|
Nuneaton Tourist Information Centre
Tel: 0300 555 8171
There’s a colour leaflet with full route description for this and other walks around and out from Pooley Country Park. Click ‘Download Trail here’ at the bottom of the page to order your detailed trail guide, before setting out.
General overview of route:
1. From the main car park at Pooley Country Park, walk the path down and under the motorway bridge, cross the canal and follow the towpath.
2. At bridge 59, take the road right, into Alvecote. On leaving the village, take the right-hand road turn and cross the bridge, then follow the footpath across fields and stiles into Shuttington.
3. The village is worth a short detour, for pubs, a shop and the attractive St Matthew’s Church with its fine Norman doorway.
4. The route leaves Shuttington and you head downhill crossing a series of fields by stiles and gates. Look out for the waterfowl on the lake as you pass Alvecote Pools Nature Reserve.
5. From Amington, the trail follows the canal towpath for a mile back to Pooley Country Park.