|Distance||12 miles (19.3
|OS Map Ref:||SK258028|
Nuneaton Tourist Information Centre
Tel: 0300 555 8171
There’s a colour leaflet with full route description for this and other cycle routes and walks around and out from Pooley Country Park. Click ‘Download Trail here’ at the bottom of the page to order your detailed trail guide, before setting out.
General overview of route:
1. Starting from the Pooley Heritage Centre car park, dip downhill along the canal and under the motorway bridge.
2. At the end of the country park, join the lane and cycle through Alvecote village before turning right past Alvecote Pools Nature Reserve.
3. Quiet lanes pass through Shuttington and Newton Regis villages with pubs for a refreshment stop.
4. At No Man’s Heath turn right onto the old track, Salt Street, believed to be the route used by the merchants trading in salt in the Mercia Anglo-Saxon period.
5. Heading south and along a series of bridleways and country tarmac roads, passing another pub at Austrey, you head back into Shuttington and towards Alvecote Pools, retracing the original starting section.